Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Internship

Hello from L’isle Jourdain, France!  I have been very busy with my host family and the internet has been down, which explains my lack of posting.  Lots of interesting things have happened since I last posted.  I finished my last week at Purpan.  


On Monday and Tuesday, I saw a few Purpan students give presentations about agri-business in English.  This presentation was for a degree in food science in an English speaking setting.  It’s a two year program that teaches the students English along with having internship in France related to the food industry.  Students then present what they did in their internship in English.  Most of the students did very well, and I can honestly say I was jealous of their ability to speak a second language well enough to give a presentation!  In the afternoon, we had French class.  

On Wednesday, we had a French cooking class.  We broke into teams and each team made a dish.  One team made a radish salad and bruschetta.  My team made a pastry using duck, potatoes, carrots, and herbs.  The last team made cookies and a pudding.  The pudding had cantaloupe on the top and a white wine mousse on the bottom.  It tasted fantastic!  That night, we had a farewell potluck.  Brittney, Natalie, and I brought cheesecake.  The ingredients weren't what Brittney traditionally uses and we had to cook the pies on plates, but they ended up tasting great!  

On Thursday morning, I visited a Delpeyrat pâte and foie gras processing factory.  It was cool to see how the product went from duck carcass to the food found on the grocery shelf.  In the afternoon, we went to Gers Fairne, which is a flour mill.  I didn't realize so much went into making flour!  We saw all the machines required to make flour and the processes it goes through to go from grain to packaged item. 

Friday was exam day.  I had an oral and listening exam in French in the morning.  In the afternoon I gave a presentation on cheese.  I think both went well.  On Saturday I went to Toulouse with some friends.  We went to the natural history museum and enjoyed the nice weather.  On Sunday, I left for my internship.

My original internship did not work out.  The surgery room’s lift and harness at the veterinary hospital I was going to have my internship at broke.  The veterinarian lost most of his patients for the next month while the repairs are being made to the surgery room.  Consequently, that means I could not take the internship with the equine veterinarian as originally planned.  Instead, I am living on a donkey farm with a host family.  The host family is very welcoming and there are always people around the house.  They milk donkeys, make soap, and run a bed and breakfast.  The donkey milk is used to make soap and ice cream.  The ice cream tastes great!  I have already milked donkeys and made soap.  I do daily chores like cleaning the barn and feeding.  I have learned new skills such as putting up electric fences and cleaning stitches post-surgery.  I gave two injections today using the tenting procedure I learned in ANSC 103.  Hooray for using animal science 4,000+ miles away from where I learned it!  Despite the internship being different than I anticipated, I am happy that I am able to take my internship here.
 
Here’s a link (in English) to the farm I am staying at:



I’ll post photos later since they take a long time to upload and my computer is about to die.  

No comments:

Post a Comment